I’ve always been the friend that one goes to when he’s looking for a shoulder to cry on. I’ve been an agony aunt as well as a shrink to anyone who’s come to me with any kind of problem and have tried my best to be of help. I’ve relied only on reason and logic to make any kind of judgement, as required, and have been successful to a good extent.
Why, then, does it happen that I can see everything crystal clear only when I’m not the subject matter? When I have to take decisions regarding anything pertaining to me and my life why am I so confused? I try to introspect every now and then, why then cannot I be as rational and clear in my mind regarding myself, like I am about others?
I’d read somewhere: ‘Whenever you need a helping hand, you’ll always find one at the end of your right arm’. I took this thought rather seriously and even in the most trying times I tried to find support only within me. I knew that nothing but my own heart would show me the right way. And it did, mostly.
Unfortunately, I find that my mind and my heart are constantly at loggerheads with each other and both try to command me. The mind wants to focus while the heart wants to wander. The heart gives hope while the mind calls it silly and crushes it. The one thing, however, that both agree on is my dreams and ambition.
That is why I want to make sure that henceforth both of them work in tandem with each other. I admit things haven’t reached the farthest end as of now but I need to give myself some well needed and well meaning advice that would do me some good. Whenever I feel disoriented or let down I hope this list gives me the much needed morale boost.
- You have time, and you have the drive. Go ahead and do what you want to do. Believe in yourself.
- Be proud of the scars that have become a part of your existence. Not everyone gets them.
- Swimming against the tide is never easy, but you knew you could do it back then. You can do it now. Try.
- Little disappointments are lost in bigger celebrations only if you treat them as little and move on.
- Do it for yourself. There is no point that you have to prove to anyone.
- The ones who ridicule you are the ones who never made an attempt to go where you want to go.
- Don’t equate success with worth and ability. Remember this always!
- Observe closely what needs to be changed and worked on. This exercise will save you a lot of valuable time.
- Focus. Focus. Focus.
- Lastly, don’t be too hard on yourself. You’re no superwoman. Don’t try to be one. Don’t regret making mistakes and try to learn from them.